nanog mailing list archives

Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: "UpTide ." <UpTide () live com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 20:18:57 +0000

If we allocate a /64 like we do single ipv4 addresses now the space gets 2^56 (16777216) times larger; but if we start
doing something crazy like allocating a /48 or /56 that number plummets. (256 times larger, and 65536 times larger
respectfully.)

But then again I'm bad with math, maybe not?

While a single network gets at /64, isn't the practice suppose to be
providers allocating a /56 or a /60 for home users (you know so your IOT,
wired lan, wifi, guest network, gaming systems, bathroom, bedroom, etc. can
all be on their own networks)?