nanog mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

From: Royce Williams <royce () techsolvency com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2017 10:55:35 -0900

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
wrote:

On 12/03/2017 10:08 AM, Filip Hruska wrote:

It's kind of a pain to manage a mail server.

I disagree.

I have been running my own mail server for > 15 years and extremely happy
with it.

I spend less than an hour a month needing to do things to it.  Usually
that's just the same type of OS updates that I do to my workstation.

Having my own mail server gives me a LOT more flexibility than relying on
someone else's mail server.

For those of us who have the savvy to do so competently, sure.

For others, the key word may be "provider".

Setting up a Linode server on static IP space (to avoid being blacklisted),
setting up greylisting, antivirus/antispam (maybe?), STARTTLS, etc. ...

Maybe the OP is interested in outsourcing all of that - letting someone
else stay current with patching, spammer tactics, etc.

Royce