nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spitballing IoT Security

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 09:58:36 -0400

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 05:13:31PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
This is one of my bigger concerns every time I buy something that's "cloud
controlled".  Not so much that the manufacturer will force it's retirement,
but "what happens if they go belly up, or just kill the division that
supports my device?"  A cloud controlled networked device, with no cloud, is
not terribly useful.

1. This has happened already, e.g., Nest.  It will happen again.  Many times.

2. Such a device may not be terribly useful *to you*, but in its
neglected, unremarked, unmaintained state it may become very useful
to attackers.

---rsk