nanog mailing list archives

Re: MPLS in the campus Network?

From: Marian Ďurkovič <md () bts sk>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 16:19:18 +0200

Compared to MPLS, a L2 solution with 100 Gb/s interfaces between
core switches and a 10G connection for each buildings looks so much
cheaper. But we worry about future trouble using Trill, SPB, or other
technologies, not only the "open" ones, but specifically the proprietary
ones based on central controller and lots of magic (some colleagues feel
the debug nightmare are garanteed).

If you had to make such a choice recently, did you choose an MPLS design
even at lower speed ?

A year ago we built NREN backbone using TRILL instead of MPLS.
40 POPs, no central controller, RFC standardized TRILL protocol
i.e. L2 routing using IS-IS, no STP.

See my recent presentation at  http://md.bts.sk/sanet-100g-2.pdf
for more details.

Much easier to setup, operate & maintain than MPLS and obviously much
lower cost. Based on 6-months production experience, my recommendation
would be to stay away from MPLS in the campus.

  With kind regards,

     M.