nanog mailing list archives

RE: NIST NTP servers

From: "Allan Liska" <allan () allan org>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 10:40:23 -0400

On 5/10/2016 at 10:30 AM, "Chuck Church" <chuckchurch () gmail com> wrote:

It doesn't really.  Granted there are a lot of CVEs coming out for
NTP the
last year or so.  But I just don't think there are that many
attacks on it.
It's just not worth the effort.  Changing time on devices is more
an
annoyance than anything, and doesn't necessarily get you into a
device.
Sure you can hide your tracks a little by altering time in logs
and altering
it back, but that's more of an in-depth nation-state kind of
attack, not
going to be a script kiddie kind of thing.  Just follow the best
practices
for verifying packet sources and NTP security itself, and you
should be ok.

Chuck

I would argue that the fact the NTP can, and has been, be used in DDoS amplification attacks is a serious concern for
using protocol going forward.

allan