nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPV6 planning

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:51:06 -0800

On Mar 6, 2016, at 17:57 , Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com> wrote:

Den 6. mar. 2016 13.41 skrev "Karl Auer" <kauer () biplane com au>:

Dunno about "harsh", but RFC 2464, section 4 says that the prefix must
be 64 bits. By (extremely strong) implication, a host must not use a
prefix of any other length to perform SLAAC. I say "extremely strong"
because the entire description of how an IPv6 Ethernet interface
identifier is formed depends on it being composed of the prefix plus an
EUI-64 identifier. Later RFCs firm up the requirement and apply it in
other contexts.

But the most popular OS (Windows) completely ignores all of that and makes
up an identifier not based on EUI-64. Everyone are happy anyway. The RFC
should have let identifier selection as an implementation detail as the
risk of collision is almost non existent given a sufficient random
selection and we have duplicate address detection as a safeguard.

To the best of my knowledge, Windows actually generates three addresses…

1. Subnet Stable quasi-randomized address unrelated (or at least not reversable to) MAC address.
2. Privacy address which rotates frequently (for some definition of frequently).
3. Stable address related to MAC address.

The 3rd one is standard SLAAC.
The second one is standard privacy extensions.
THe first one is unique to Windows. You’ll get the same address every time you connect to the same subnet, but you
won’t see that suffix for that host on any other subnet.

Owen