nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPV6 planning

From: Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 19:35:55 +0100

Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes:
On Mar 7, 2016, at 16:01 , Alarig Le Lay <alarig () swordarmor fr> wrote:

It’s not exactly specific to Windows, dhcpcd use a something like that
(my IPv6 is 2a00:5884:8316:2653:fd40:d47d:556f:c426). And at least,
there is a RFC related to that, https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7217.

Yes, but in the case of Windows, that happens with SLAAC without DHCP.

Yes, and SLAAC is what rfc7217 is about

TTBOMK, this is unique to windows.

Nope.  See for example the stable_secret setting in
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt

But Linux doesn't create this in addition to the EUI-64 derived
address.  It creates in instead.  And it won't happen by default.  Only
if you configure a secret. Except for weird interfaces without any
EUI-64 identifier, like raw IP interfaces, which will use this code to
support SLAAC.

How does Windows manage to *use* three addresses? I can understand how
the rfc7217 address and the privacy address can be use for different
purposes, but what do they use the EUI-64 address for?

Bjørn