nanog mailing list archives

Re: Oh dear, we've all been made redundant...

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 20:10:52 -0500

On 3/24/2016 08:08, Casey Russell wrote:
 >>Just goes to show the vast range of technical issues that can be
 >>readily righted with little more than a good thump with a hammer.

We always referred to that as "percussive maintenance"

Casey Russell
Network Engineer
Kansas Research and Education Network

2029 Becker Drive, Suite 282

Lawrence, KS  66047

(785)856-9820  ext 9809
crussell () kanren net <mailto:crussell () kanren net>

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Wayne Bouchard <web () typo org
<mailto:web () typo org>> wrote:

    On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 11:00:36PM -0500, Larry Sheldon wrote:
    > On 3/19/2016 18:16, Warren Kumari wrote:
    > > Found on Staple's website:
    > >http://www.staples.com/NetReset-Automated-Power-Cycler-for-Modems-and-Routers/product_1985686
    > >
    > > Fixes all issues, less downtime, less stress...
    >
    > etc...
    > ...and so forth
    > ..................and so on.
    >
    > > Resetting allows equipment to auto-correct issues
    >
    > Recalls to mind years ago in the Toll testroom where I worked, the
    > evenings equipment man (charged with and assigned to the task of
    > repairing equipment that had been "patched out" by the day shift) would,
    > when he arrived for work each day, retrieve the piece of 2 X 4 from its
    > hiding place and whack each bay of relay-rich equipment as he walked in
    > the area.
    >
    > Then, after some coffee and a cigarette, he would go through the
    > trouble-ticket collection, retest the item, mark the ticket "NTF" and
    > proceed to the next item.

    I love that!

    Just goes to show the vast range of technical issues that can be
    readily righted with little more than a good thump with a hammer.

In a later live, I worked in a computer center housing A computer (1110, 1100/80, 1100/90). The UNIVAC CEs had in their kit an tool for locating "shock-sensitive" boards--looked like and worked like an "automatic centerpunch" with a blunt point.

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)