nanog mailing list archives

Re: FW: [tld-admin-poc] Fwd: Re: .pro whois registry down?

From: Tony Finch <dot () dotat at>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:28:08 +0000

Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

Additionally 'whois' is free form text.  Whois doesn't include a
AI to workout what this free form text means so, no, there isn't a
actual referral for a whois application to use.

Yes, the whois data format is bullshit, but there are only a few simple
referral patterns in use, so in practice following referrals works OK.

Additionally we should be publishing where the whois server for the
tld is in the DNS.

      _whois._tcp.pro. srv 0 100 43 whois.afilias.net.

That would be nice, but in practice the requirement is a whois.nic.TLD
host rather than a SRV record. And we don't really need yet another way
to find whois servers - we already have more than enough.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/
Humber, Thames: East or southeast 3 or 4. Slight. Mainly fair. Moderate or