nanog mailing list archives

Re: FW: [tld-admin-poc] Fwd: Re: .pro whois registry down?

From: Royce Williams <royce () techsolvency com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 16:20:24 -0900

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

Additionally 'whois' is free form text.  Whois doesn't include a
AI to workout what this free form text means so, no, there isn't a
actual referral for a whois application to use.

I'm not affiliated, but there are a couple of companies that normalize
whois data.  It's a whackamole game, but it sucks less than trying to
do it yourself.

Additionally we should be publishing where the whois server for the
tld is in the DNS.  whois applications could be looking for this
then falling back to other methods.

e.g.

        _whois._tcp.pro. srv 0 100 43 whois.afilias.net.

If we want machines to follow referrals we have to provide them in
appropriate forms.

That's a great idea.

Royce