nanog mailing list archives

Re: automated site to site vpn recommendations

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:00:14 -0700

On 6/29/16 15:33, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
My biggest issue with Meraki is the fundamentally flawed business model,
biased in favor of vendor lock in and endlessly recurring payments to the
equipment vendor rather than the ISP or enterprise end user.

You should not have to pay a yearly subscription fee to keep your in-house
802.11(abgn/ac) wifi access points operating. The very idea that the
equipment you purchased which worked flawlessly on day one will stop
working not because it's broken, or obsolete, but because your
*subscription* expired...

I'm sure most hardware makers would love to lock in a revenue stream of "keep me working" subscriptions if they could get away with it. From the company's perspective what's not to love about that kind of guaranteed revenue?

I often wonder if Microsoft will someday make Office365 the only way to get Office, which if you don't maintain a subscription your locally installed copy of Word will cease to function.

~Seth