nanog mailing list archives

Re: Turning Off IPv6 for Good (was Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed)

From: Michael Brown <michael () supermathie net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 22:36:06 -0400

On 2016-06-01 11:41 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
 Turns out it has nothing to do with my IPv4 connectivity. Neither of
my ISPs has native IPv6 connectivity, so both require tunnels (one of
them to HE.net, one to the ISPs own tunnel broker), and both appear to
be detected as a non-permitted VPN. As an early IPv6 adopter, I've had
IPv6 on all my household devices for years now.

 So after having to temporarily turn off IPv6 at my desktop to fix
issues with pay.gov (FCC license payments), and issues with various
other things, and then remember to turn it back on again... I now have
the reason I've been waiting for to turn it off globally for the whole
house.
Wish I read this thread earlier. Damn. I just went through the whole
useless process myself with an ineffectual support rep…

«
But if the system is telling you that error code, it is a setting on
the local network, call your ISP, they can assist you on that issue.

Oh right. RIGHT. I'm SURE they'll be able to help.
»

…and I came to the same conclusion and similar resolution (adding an
outbound rule rejecting traffic to 2620:108:700f::/48, causing fallback
to IPv4 worked for me).

At least I got the support rep to SAY he opened a ticket.

Wow! It's my chance to be the noisy minority!

M.

--
Michael Brown            | The true sysadmin does not adjust his behaviour
Systems Administrator    | to fit the machine.  He adjusts the machine