nanog mailing list archives

Re: Turning Off IPv6 for Good (was Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed)

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 20:47:59 -0700

There is an epic lesson here. I'm just not sure what it is. :-)

- - ferg

On 6/1/2016 8:41 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

Turns out it has nothing to do with my IPv4 connectivity. Neither
of my ISPs has native IPv6 connectivity, so both require tunnels
(one of them to HE.net, one to the ISPs own tunnel broker), and
both appear to be detected as a non-permitted VPN. As an early IPv6
adopter, I've had IPv6 on all my household devices for years now.

So after having to temporarily turn off IPv6 at my desktop to fix
issues with pay.gov (FCC license payments), and issues with
various other things, and then remember to turn it back on again...
I now have the reason I've been waiting for to turn it off globally
for the whole house.

Thanks Netflix for helping move us forward here.

Matthew Kaufman

ps. Would still be helpful if the support techs could tell from
the error codes that the denied VPN is an IPv6 tunnel

------ Original Message ------ From: "Matthew Kaufman"
<matthew () matthew at> To: "NANOG" <nanog () nanog org> Sent: 6/1/2016
8:27:00 PM Subject: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

Every device in my house is blocked from Netflix this evening due
to their new "VPN blocker". My house is on my own IP space, and
the outside of the NAT that the family devices are on is
198.202.199.254, announced by AS 11994. A simple ping from
Netflix HQ in Los Gatos to my house should show that I'm no
farther away than Santa Cruz, CA as microwaves fly.

Unfortunately, when one calls Netflix support to talk about this,
the only response is to say "call your ISP and have them turn off
the VPN software they've added to your account". And they
absolutely refuse to escalate. Even if you tell them that you are
essentially your own ISP.

So... where's the Netflix network engineer on the list who all of
us can send these issues to directly?

Matthew Kaufman

- --
Paul Ferguson
ICEBRG.io
PGP Public Key ID: 0x54DC85B2
Key fingerprint: 19EC 2945 FEE8 D6C8 58A1 CE53 2896 AC75 54DC 85B2