nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix banning HE tunnels

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:27:35 -0400

On Thu, 09 Jun 2016 23:57:08 -0400, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

zero interoperability, and no viable migration paths, it's a Forklift
Upgrade(tm).

You say that with such confidence! Doesn't make it true.

https://archive.psg.com/120206.nanog-v4-life-extension.pdf

randy, who works for the first isp to deploy ipv6 to customers

Also, the Randy who closed the ngtrans working group "declar[ing] victory" yet having produced nothing. Dual stack is not a transition plan, and never has been. It's a key factor in why we have such a fractured adoption today.

If you've been completely ignoring IPv6 for 20 years, then it is indeed a steep learning curve[*]. If you haven't been upgrading equipment, shame on you! Otherwise, you've ended up with "IPv6 Capable(TM)" completely by accident, but you still have to deploy IPv6. On the scale of a large service provider (or enterprise, for that matter), that's not a trivial process. While *I* could upgrade the tiny island of the multi-national corp I work for [10 people, 1 (linux) router, 36 public facing networks] overnight via a plan drawn on the back of cocktail napkin over a long lunch, doing that over the entire global network is not going to happen overnight; the other offices have much more involved infrastructure.

I'd like to hear from the Comcast's, TWC's, and Uverse's just how many man-hours were involved in the planning, testing, training, deployment, and troubleshooting of their IPv6 "transition". (I have a ppt of the Uverse 6rd plan. I cannot imagine that mere document was produced in lass than a day, not counting the data behind all those slides.)

[*] As I joked with a business partner recently as he had to learn "all this crap about IPv6" for his CCIE recert, "you're a DoD contractor. They've had an 'IPv6 Mandate' for decades. I still have the memo." That mandate is for "IPv6 Capable"; they don't have any actual v6 anywhere.