nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 is better than ipv4

From: Daniel Corbe <dcorbe () hammerfiber com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 12:23:13 -0400

On Jun 2, 2016, at 12:13 PM, Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com> wrote:

On Thursday, June 2, 2016, Josh Luthman <josh () imaginenetworksllc com> wrote:

Just a thought - ipv4 includes older more rural connections such as 1M DSL
out in the sticks.  That weighs the average connection time down.  v6 being
capable on modern 4G wireless and fiber connections makes the average
faster.

Akamai, linkedin, and facebook are not lightweights when it comes to data
analysis.   Meaning, they know about selection basis. I'll also mention
that google has v6 as well.

FTFA,  Akamai states they isolated dual-stack iphones on vzw and ran
parallel RUM v4 and v6 tests.  I believe FB did the same thing and
presented the data at nanog 64

CB

Just an ancillary thought.

Maybe we should let people believe that IPv6 is faster than IPv4 even if objectively that isn’t true.  Perhaps that
will help speed along the adoption process.