nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 deployment excuses

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2016 23:49:11 +1000

In message <B9CDA0F3-AE6F-435D-9904-C2AE05BCCCCB () rivervalleyinternet net>, Matt
 Hoppes writes:
I disagree. Any data center or hosting provider is going to continue to
offer IPv4 lest they island themselves from subscribers who have IPv4
only - which no data center is going to do.

One can not run IPv6 only because there are sites that are only IPv4.

Thus, as an ISP you can safely continue to run IPv4. Ipv4 won't be going
away for at least ten years or more - if ever.

I'm not saying don't be ready for IPv6. I'm not saying don't understand
how it works. But doomsday isn't here.

There are ISP's that are essentially IPv6 only today as they do not
have enough IPv4 addresses to give all their customers a public
IPv4 address.

Once you need to run a GGN you may as well run DS-Lite, MAP* or
(shudder) DNS64/NAT64 as NAT444.  There is no need to talk IPv4 to
your customers today.  You still need a small number of IPv4 address
to talk to legacy IPv4 servers on the internet.  Just because there
owners don't know they are legacy servers doesn't mean they aren't.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org