nanog mailing list archives

Re: I recommend dslreports.com/speedtest these days (was Speedtest.net not accessible in Chrome due to deceptive ads)

From: Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 22:18:12 +0200

Den 22. jul. 2016 21.34 skrev "Jim Gettys" <jg () freedesktop org>:

So it is entirely appropriate in my view to give even "high speed"
connections low grades; it's telling you that they suck under load
​, like when your kid is downloading a video (or uploading one for their
friends); your performance (e.g. web surfing) can go to hell in a
hand-basket despite having a lot of bandwidth on the
connection. For most use, I'll take a 20Mbps link without bloat to a
200Mbps one with a half second of bloat any
​ ​
day.
​

I will expect that high speed links will have little bloat simply because
even large buffers empty quite fast.

Regards

Baldur