nanog mailing list archives

Re: The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:31:10 +0200

On 25/Jan/16 12:15, Joe Maimon wrote:

No static routes, dedicated BGP routed loopbacks on each side from an
allocated /31, strict definitions on which routes belong to which
session. Its gone about very properly.

And all of this is simpler than having a native BGP session that runs
across a point-to-point link?

In my opinion, that setup is a very good example of how and when to
properly take advantage of a BGP feature that has been with us from
the start.

My philosophy: if I could run a router with only one command in its
configuration, I would.

I realize some commands make a router more secure than them being absent
(and vice versa), while some commands make a router perform better than
them being absent (and vice versa).

My point - just because a feature is there, does not mean you have to
use it.

And really, whats wrong with the ability on your side to decide when
and where on your network you will take a full feed of ever expanding
internet routes. On your edge? On a purpose built route server?

Personally, I abhor tunnels (and things that resemble them) as well as
centralized networking. But that's just me.

Or do you think the only paths forward for everyone's edges is
continuous forklifting and/or selective filtering?

Can't speak for others, just myself.

Mark.