nanog mailing list archives

Re: The IPv6 Travesty that is Cogent's refusal to peer Hurricane Electric - and how to solve it

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 15:28:19 -0500

Owen DeLong wrote:

Crazy multihop BGP setups

I like that setup. And it never struck me as crazy. In fact, their implementation avoids all multihop setup shortcuts and is quite purist from a routing standpoint.

The multihop approach gives you the option of where to slice and dice your full table direct from ebgp.

In essence, that setup enables you as a customer to have a setup exactly like Cogent had as a vendor. If thats what you want.

because they don’t do BGP on many (most?) of their customer facing routers?

I have a pending request to get that multi-hop setup. I was told that it was now a special request and they would "try" to get it done and these days all their routers had full table capacity and they no longer used the multi-hop.

Frequent outages in many locations (maybe not where you are, seems to be certain problem areas on their network and not
others)
Spamtastic sales force?
Overly aggressive sales calls?

I’m sure there are more, but as I’ve never been a Cogent customer (thankfully) due to their history of bad peering
policies, peering disputes, generally obnoxious conduct as a company, etc. it is difficult for me to know much about
the customer experience beyond what I hear from others, most of whom are former Cogent customers.

Interestingly, when I worked for HE, I wasn’t allowed to speak my mind about Cogent lest it “reflect badly” on HE.

Owen