nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cable Operator List

From: jamie rishaw <j () arpa com>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 21:16:46 -0600

56k's for everyone!
Lets bring the #OldInternet back!

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com> wrote:

Colton,

You're only going to find very small, old, or not certified (usually still
very small) CMTSs that only do layer 2.  All of the major vendors are doing
layer 3 because we've found out over time that not doing it is more
problematic.  Having said that, if you're looking for a more ONT/DSLAM type
of install there is a new type of CMTSs that look at lot like traditional
telco DLC/BLC deployments.

https://intx15.ncta.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/17-Remote-PHY.pdf

The remote PHY+MAC boxes are basically mini-CMTSs and they typically rely
on something upstream handling layer 3.  The remote PHY boxes are different
as they don't even do a complete layer 2 and instead forward DOCSIS frames
back to a centralized CMTS/CCAP.

Scott Helms
Chief Technology Officer
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000
http://twitter.com/kscotthelms

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Colton Conor <colton.conor () gmail com>