nanog mailing list archives

Re: Recent NTP pool traffic increase

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 22:42:05 -0500

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 18:41:37 -0800, Keenan Tims said:
Better for whom? I'm sure all mobile operating systems provide some
access to time, with a least 'seconds' resolution. If an app deems this
time source untrustworthy for some reason, I don't think the reasonable
response is to make independent time requests from a volunteer-operated
pool for public servers designed for host synchronization.

This is possibly at least partly due to "dependency hell".
For a worked example from earlier this year:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/

So a lot of people had their stuff blow up, even though their code
called left_pad exactly noplace....