nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arista Routing Solutions

From: Colton Conor <colton.conor () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 11:08:47 -0500

Saku,

I guess you are right the QFX10002-36Q is probably a better comparison. But
let's be honest, Juniper is not going to sell a QFX10002-36Q for less than
$20k like Arista will do for a semi- similar box. Even with a high discount
(like 90 percent off list), the Juniper QFX10002-36Q at $360k list price
comes nowhere close on the price point. Cisco, Juniper, ALU, etc are all
not going to see a low cost high density fixed switch because that would
cannibalize on their sales on the larger platforms. I really think Arista
is kind of unique here as they don't have another routing platform to
cannibalize, so they are competitively pricing their platform.

So I guess the question becomes, what features are missing that Arista does
not currently have? They seems to be adding more and more features, and
taking more market share. Here is a list of features supported:
https://www.arista.com/en/support/product-documentation/supported-features
I have not personally used Arista myself, but I like what I am seeing as
far as price point, company culture, and repruatation in the market place.
I know their switching is solid, but I am not sure about their routing.

Arista claims to have much, much faster BGP convergence time than all the
other vendors.