nanog mailing list archives

Re: GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 05:54:36 -0800

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 3:55 AM, John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:

Please don't guess (like, you know, MaxMind does.)  USPS has its own
database of all of the deliverable addresses in the country.  They
have their problems, but give or take data staleness as buildings
are built or demolished, that's not one of them.

A qualifier.

USPS has a database of *most* of the deliverable addresses in the country.

I'm in an unorganized borough. The USPS actually has no mandate, funding or
lever that I can pull (that I can find) to keep their database up to date.
Easily 30% of the legitimate addresses in my area are not geocodable nor in
the USPS database.

I suspect that there are areas of my state with an even worse percentage of
unavailable data.

UPS and FedEx rely on the USPS database, but will not lift a finger to fix
this gap.

Even as a municipal body there is no available federal mechanism for
updating the database. I've tried multiple times over 15+ years.

</rant>

So yeah, USPS' database does have its problems.

--
Jeremy Austin

(907) 895-2311
(907) 803-5422