nanog mailing list archives

Re: How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:31:53 +0200

On 29/Sep/15 22:55, Josh Luthman wrote:

I think he means new releases are v6 for the first 48 hours...then trickle
to v4.  Which means that people wanting to see that new release urgently
would have to wait two days.

Netflix is definitely not the service to do that.  Hulu, Amazon or HBO GO
maybe.  Netflix content tends to be pretty old (apart from their own
content, of course).

I think this is more "feasible" if Netflix offered a dedicated, 24/7/365
pr0n channel that only streamed on IPv6.

If an IPv4-only Netflix subscriber tried to tune to that, they'd get a
big fat "IPv6 required to view this FREE content. Please contact your
service provider blah blah blah" on their TV screen.

That could facilitate a "bottom-up" push; perhaps the only time we'll
ever hear customers requesting for IPv6.

Leave all the regular programming on IPv4 - we all know what drives
Internet traffic anyway :-).

Mark.