nanog mailing list archives

Re: Academic Paper - ISPs Sharing Long Haul Infrastructure in the USN

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 14:31:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015, Christopher Morrow wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Rod Beck <Rod.Beck () hibernianetworks com> wrote:
Academics face a severe challenge in gaining access to fiber maps since the industry classifies virtually everything as
proprietary. If you know a better paper, please post it.

I don't, which was part of why I was joking.

The ATIS final report on the National Diversity Assurance Iniative is decent. ATIS had access to proprietary carrier maps and personnel to check things on the ground. Unfortunately, the NDAI report seems to have disappeared down the Internet memory hole of dead links.

http://www.atis.org/ndai

It could be summarized as "Circuit route diversity sucks." The only thing worse than circuit route diversity were the processes to assure diverse circuit orders stayed diverse.