nanog mailing list archives

Re: NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

From: "Roland Dobbins" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 07:01:49 +0700

On 2 Sep 2015, at 6:06, Jared Mauch wrote:

You are, Avi has said that the number of people with a network is outnumbered about 50:1 using his most favorable numbers.

Again, to clarify - I count VLANs/VRFs as being sufficiently out-of-band to handle flow telemetry on a reasonable basis without mixing it in with customer traffic.

That changes the ratio.

This means for your one example there are 50 people not doing this and the world hasn’t ended for them. If you aren’t listening to Avi, please trust me, you don’t need your own OOB network for flow, nor is putting your flow there going to provide you some magical value.

I agree with you, Avi, and others that a dedicated OOB network *just for flow telemetry* doesn't make economic sense in most (any?) scenarios.

What I'm saying is that it oughtn't to be mixed in with customer data-plane traffic. Ideally, all management-plane traffic would traverse a separate physical infrastructure. Since we don't live in an ideal world, virtual separation is generally Good Enough.

1:10k sampling works and you don’t need much more than that unless you’re at extremely low bitrates. Most attacks last under 1 hour and even the small ones shout out in netflow data doing a simple hash sort algorithm with the proper keys

Concur 100%. I spend a lot of time explaining to customers that no, they don't need/want 1:1 even if they could get it, and that the 'wake' left by attack traffic stands out very well even at relatively high sampling ratios.

Most of the network-oriented folks seem to grasp this pretty quickly. It's generally the 'security' types who often seem conceptually/attitudinally incapable of understanding these principles.

.  You can even use QoS to mitigate if your goal is attack
traffic as they’re mostly UDP based attacks, see: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-byrne-opsec-udp-advisory-00 for some advice/input.

I know you do this, and I understand why. Not everyone agrees with this and does it, and I also understand why (not).

ntp is easy, because there's the timesync packet-size classification hook. It gets a little dicier with other things.

I’ve shared my own input at recent NANOG meetings, including policers to keep the attacks under control.

And it's valuable experience to share, nobody disputes that.

I’m not talking about datacenter class equipment that you seem so focused on like the Earl7 with the TICO etc that did software sampling out of the hardware tcam and would be overrun.

I'm pretty sure the CRSes I referred to with the linecard-reboot issue in my example aren't datacenter-class equipment.

;>

What people often don’t see is true “scale”[1] of netflow. When you have enough attributes or want to actually look at your IPv6 there have been significant shortcomings. We had to remind the patent holder for netflow how to implement it for their own hardware.

This is very true. IPv6 flow telemetry is another area in which IPv4/IPv6 feature parity lags. Because of your focus on large-scale IPv6 deployment over the course of many years, you see and experience a lot more IPv6-related deficiencies than most folks.

aside: will you be in Yokohama?  We should get lunch/dinner.

Yes, and yes.

;>

[1] - I hate this word, vendors use it as an excuse to hardcode limits and to not properly respond to valid use cases

Concur 100%.

Another annoying vendor trait is use-case obsession. In many contexts, the right answer is to understand that there is a baseline plateau of vitally necessary scaling (that word, again) capacity and required functionality which is universally applicable, irrespective of variations in particular use cases.

I recently had a discussion with someone who was asking me how many attack sources one typically sees in a given DDoS attack. My response was that there is no 'typical'; and that for IPv4, the theoretical potential is 2^32 sources, while in IPv6, the theoretical potential is for 2^128 sources.

It was a light-bulb moment.

;>

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>