nanog mailing list archives

Re: NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

From: "Roland Dobbins" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 06:03:43 +0700

On 2 Sep 2015, at 2:38, George, Wes wrote:

Often there is a separate management network that can deal with ethernet speeds, but it's separate for security reasons and not always as rigidly independent from the in band network for connectivity, i.e. It might be a VPN riding over the regular network and thus not completely protected from
the problem you're concerned about.

Sure, or a VRF, or whatever.

While that's not ideal, it's far better than doing management-plane stuff inband in the production network, though.

And those 2500 console concentrator connections are a great resource to have when everything goes haywire and you need something that lets you get to and actually type on the console. I'm not knocking them, and I understand that old, grandfathered equipment is used for these applications, and understand that in many cases they're underprovisioned for flow telemetry.

Which is why using VLANs, VRFs, whatever on the production network gear is completely understandable, and a lot of folks do just as you say.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>