nanog mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 Subscriber Access Deployments

From: Josh Moore <jmoore () atcnetworks net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 20:03:57 +0000

That makes sense now understanding how CPE equipment has evolved into segmenting layer 2 services like that. /48 it is.

Most GPON networks are composed of large layer 2 rings. No way to break that up without adding additional equipment and
that can get costly. With IPv4 we got around the need to configure discrete VLANs/subnets by putting all customers in
the same VLAN and turning on the DHCP snooping/source-guard features. My remaining question is why isn't this desired
with IPv6? What security concerns are there with turning up SLAAC / DHCPv6 within the same /64 for everyone that are
different from IPv4?

Joshua Moore
Network Engineer
ATC Broadband