nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question re session hijacking in dual stack environments w/MacOS

From: Doug McIntyre <merlyn () geeks org>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 00:46:47 -0500

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 09:23:59AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
On 26/Sep/15 16:34, David Hubbard wrote:
Has anyone run into this?  Our users on other platforms don't seem to
have this issue; linux and MS desktops seem to just use v6 if it's
available and v4 if not.

I have been tracking down an issue for months where SSH'ing to some
devices (which picks IPv6 by default) from my Mac while in the office
drops the connection, forcing me to reconnect. It's random; sometimes it
happens a lot, sometimes, rarely, other times not at all.

I suspect this is OSX implementing IPv6 Privacy Extensions. Where OSX
generates a new random IPv6 address, applies it to the interface, and then
drops the old IPv6 addresses as they stale out. Sessions in use or not.

sudo sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=0

sudo sh -c 'echo net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=0 >> /etc/sysctl.conf'