nanog mailing list archives

Re: IGP choice

From: Daniel Corbe <dcorbe () hammerfiber com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 23:55:09 -0400

"marcel.duregards () yahoo fr" <marcel.duregards () yahoo fr> writes:

Hi everyone,

Anybody from Yahoo to share experience on IGP choice ?
IS-IS vs OSPF, why did you switch from one to the other, for what reason ?
Same question could apply to other ISP, I'd like to heard some
international ISP/carriers design choice, please.

Thank in advance,
Best regards,
-Marcel

I worked a project as recently as 2009 where we tried to connect two
6509s together over a tunnel interface and wanted to extend Area 0
across it and couldn't because it was a limitation of the version of IOS
we were running at the time.

That forced us to use isis.

It was a decision based on pragmatism rather than design choice; and we
were a small operator, too.  The choice of an interior routing protocol
really doesn't have much implication for small operators.