nanog mailing list archives

Re: AW: Uptick in spam

From: Octavio Alvarez <octalnanog () alvarezp org>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 00:44:04 -0700

On 10/27/2015 05:09 AM, Ian Smith wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Octavio Alvarez
<octalnanog () alvarezp org <mailto:octalnanog () alvarezp org>> wrote:

    On 26/10/15 11:38, Jürgen Jaritsch wrote:
    <snip>

    But it is originating all from different IP addresses. Who knows if this
    is an attack to get *@jdlabs.fr <http://jdlabs.fr/> blocked from
    NANOG and is just getting
    its goal accomplished.

This is the part that's been bugging me.  Doesn't the NANOG server
implement SPF checking on inbound list mail? jdlabs.fr
<http://jdlabs.fr> doesn't appear to have an SPF record published.  It
seems to me that these messages should have been dropped during the
connection.

That doesn't stop spam from hijacked accounts.

For this case, an account was compromised, apparently. What if after 6 messages in the last 5 minutes with the same or absent 'In-Reply-To' moves the account to moderation mode.

Easier said than implemented, though.