nanog mailing list archives

Re: the crap mail flood and the nanog culture

From: Andrew Kirch <trelane () trelane net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 16:46:41 -0400

The unequal treatment we see here is why, so many years ago, I fought and
threatened to rhsbl .mail.  We've built the walled garden anyway, and now
we're damned for it.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Chris Knipe <savage () savage za org> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:22 AM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

you might think that with all the committees, boards, badges, ... that
there was an actual operator in the nanog resume building circle who
would actually do something useful about the crap mail flood now into
its second day.

I'd actually like to go as far as to say that the same can be said about
certain hosting provider's abuse departments, and RBL operators too...

Yet, if ACME Nuts & Bolts with a small VPS at some random hosting provider
sends ONE spam message, their servers are shutdown almost no questions
asked (never mind a good number of what, hundred thousands, over a period
of days) -sigh-

It's amazing how 'fair' the playing field on the Internet has become.

--

Regards,
Chris Knipe