nanog mailing list archives

Re: the crap mail flood and the nanog culture

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:56:22 -0400

On Oct 25, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

you might think that with all the committees, boards, badges, ... that
there was an actual operator in the nanog resume building circle who
would actually do something useful about the crap mail flood now into
its second day.

I’ll certainly say this was frustrating for me.  I got a fair amount via NANOG and a fair amount directly as well all
with an easy pattern to mitigate.

It took me until today to realize that the list was still working and did not dump me for rejecting all the messages at
the SMTP layer.

My understanding is that only one person has access to the mail server to put it in emergency mode or mitigate the
damage.  Perhaps someone can post the escalation policy for the list somewhere so it can be mitigated faster next time?

- Jared