nanog mailing list archives

Re: Binge On! - And So This is Net Neutrality?

From: Sander Steffann <sander () steffann nl>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 15:43:33 +0100

Hi Owen,

To me, net neutrality isn’t as much about what you charge the customer for the data, it’s about
whether you prioritize certain classes of traffic to the detriment of others in terms of
service delivery.

If T-Mobile were taking money from the video streaming services or only accepting
certain video streaming services, I’d likely agree with you that this is a neutrality
issue.

You are right in that it could have been much worse. However: giving a big advantage to a certain technology does get
in the way of innovation in e.g. new video delivery technologies. And in the long run less innovation will not be to
the benefit of the internet's users. We are already too locked in to tcp-port-80-and-443 as it is :(

Cheers,
Sander