nanog mailing list archives

RE: AWS Elastic IP architecture

From: Michael Helmeste <elf () ubertel net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 15:59:57 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces () nanog org] On Behalf Of Christopher
Morrow
Subject: Re: AWS Elastic IP architecture
[...]
i sort of doesn't matter right? it is PROBABLY some form of encapsulation
(like gre, ip-in-ip, lisp, mpls, vpls, etc) ...
[...]

I don't know how the public blocks get to the datacenter (e.g. whether they are using MPLS) but after that I think it
is pretty straightforward. All of the VMs have only one IPv4 address assigned out of 10/8. This doesn't change when you
attach an Elastic IP to them.

All that is happening is that they have some NAT device somewhere (maybe even just a redundant pair of VMs?) that has a
block of public IPs assigned to it and they are static NAT'ing the Elastic IP to the VM. They control the allocation of
the Elastic IPs, so they just pick one that is routed out of that datacenter already. They probably don't need to do
anything out of the ordinary to get it there.

(See: http://aws.amazon.com/articles/1346 )