nanog mailing list archives

Re: gmail security is a joke

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 13:41:01 -0400

On Wed, 27 May 2015 16:11:19 +0300, Saku Ytti said:

This is second reply to this notion. I don't understand what is attempted to
communicate. I'm sure no one on nanog thinks BGP hijacks are rare, difficult
or yield to consequences when called out.

What *is* rare is a BGP hijack done solely to intercept a confirmation e-mail
sent to Joe Sixpack when he's trying to get his Gmail account back. Can anybody
provide a *single* example of that being done?

Now, if it's Joe CEO or Joe Prime Minister, the calculus changes a bit. But
as I said - at that point, you have bigger things to worry about.