nanog mailing list archives

Re: Low Cost 10G Router

From: Alain Hebert <ahebert () pubnix net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 13:44:01 -0400

    Well, in my experience, which is limited to small iron mostly.

    Juniper MX104

        Do not forget to get a second RE (Routine Engine) for software
upgrade, and be prepare to accept to pay a "license" to use the 10Gbps
ports on top of buying the IO cards.
        (1 license per 2 ports).

        Don't forget to set aside some times to port your configuration
into it, if you are used to Cisco/Brocade style config.

        And that I'm too stupid to figure out a way to make 'test
policy' do the same thing as "show ip bgp route-map XYZ"

    CER2K (latest revision)

        Has plenty of RAM for 6 full routing table (and maybe more) and
1.5M RIB compared to the ~524k from the first gen.
        ( Got burned on those )

    MLX

        Juniper MX104 where cheaper for about the same platform using
MLX products.

    Cisco

        I don't know about the licensing for the ASR but I mostly deal
with second hand devices.

        They are not flashy but do the job.

    Huawei, ZTE

        I didn't touch those and mostly won't beside looking into some
security concern some people are having.

    PS: With almost 130k prefixes polluting the routing table you could
use a software route server and feed an auto-summary of the full route
into a router/switch that can handle the RIB/FIB.  I have yet to test
Bird but I heard good things about using it for that function.
    ( By pollution, I mean, it was a test made on 6 peers where I found
~130k prefixes where using the same path as their larger subnet, I have
to put up more time on that bench thou )

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert () pubnix net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443