nanog mailing list archives

Re: Thousands of hosts on a gigabit LAN, maybe not

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 16:28:06 -0400

On 05/08/2015 04:17 PM, Niels Bakker wrote:
* lists.nanog () monmotha net (Brandon Martin) [Fri 08 May 2015, 21:42 CEST]:
[1] Purely as an example, you can cram 3x Brocade MLX-16 chassis into
a 42U rack (with 0RU to spare).  That gives you 48 slots for line cards.

You really can't.  Cables need to come from the top, not from the sides,
or they'll block the path of other linecards.

Hum, good point. "Cram" may not be a strong enough term :) It'd work on the horizontal slot chassis types (4/8 slot), but not the vertical (16/32 slot).

You might be able to make it fit if you didn't care about maintainability, I guess. There's some room to maneuver if you don't care about being able to get the power supplies out, too. I don't recommend this approach... Those MRJ21 cables are not easy to work with as it is.
--
Brandon Martin