nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google served from non-google IPs?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 17:43:32 -0400

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM, ITechGeek <itg () itechgeek com> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com
wrote:

I'm surprised they don't set aside a small piece of their IP space that
an

'they' and 'their' here are confusing, which 'they' and 'their' did you
mean?

In this case they being Google and their being Google's IP space (but you
can replace Google w/ any provider using caching servers).

this has the same uncertainty problems with other folk I imagine.

When I was using Comcast 6to4 gateway, the latency wasn't too bad (I'm a
Comcast customer).  If the anycast is being broadcast from a regional
datacenter and your ISP has good connectivity, the latency shouldn't be bad
(in the QIX case above, the latency shouldn't be any worse than QIX's IPs
unless someone started advertising the same anycast subnet w/ a lower cost).

there are a lot of ifs there... and failover is where the problems arise :(