nanog mailing list archives

Re: Setting Up a Looking Glass

From: "Hicks, Byron" <byron.hicks () tx-learn net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 02:40:22 +0000

http://sourceforge.net/projects/routerproxy/

Is my looking glass/router proxy of choice.

On Jun 13, 2015, at 5:21 PM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop () gmail com> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:
Here's a relatively new and fresh perspective on it:
https://github.com/ramnode/LookingGlass
You can see it in action here:
http://lg.nyc.ramnode.com/
looking glass without routing, indeed a new perspective :(

with a bit more coffee, perhaps i can expand a bit.

for widely distributed data plane probes (ping/traceroute/...), we have
good alternatives, nlring, ripe atlas, traceroute.org, etc.  as an op,
nlring is my fave of the month as i can go from question to result in
minimal typing and a matter of seconds.

'looking glass' has traditionally meant a control plane (routing) view.
this is a rarer beast, and setting one up is often a bit crude.

Indeed.  As with most things there are always more than one meaning,
and of course even those change with time.    I read into the OP's
words that he was looking for a locally hosted capability that he
could easily give out to his people in order to trouble shoot
connectivity.

-Jim P.

—
Byron Hicks