nanog mailing list archives

Re: eBay is looking for network heavies...

From: Sina Owolabi <notify.sina () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 07:24:46 +0000

I'm curious. What reading and comprehension level does one need to be
considered a network heavy? No snark, I really would like to know.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, 6:01 AM Mark Foster <blakjak () blakjak net> wrote:

On 11/06/2015 4:46 p.m., Alex White-Robinson wrote:
Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:

On a slightly different note, however--while it's good to
have an appreciation of the past and how we got here,
I think it's wise to also recognize we as an industry
have some challenges bringing new blood in--and
treating it too much like a sacred priesthood with
cabalistic knowledge and initiation rites isn't going
to help us bring new engineers into the field to
take over for us crusty old farts when our eyes
give out and we can't type into our 9600 baud
serial consoles anymore.

Matt
CCOF #1999322002 [0]
I've seen very little attention paid to junior talent in the last few
years, and know a few people who would have been talented engineers that
never got a chance to show it.
They moved into other industries because of the lack of junior roles.

I know very few people in network engineering that are under thirty, and
not that many under thirty five.

An interesting statement; both my current network engineering team
members are under 35 (and one is under 30) - i'm actually on the hunt
for a slightly more senior resource at the moment to take up a vacant
Team Leader role, and the candidates i've had apply are generally in
their 30's.

But perhaps New Zealand is a different audience to the North American
continent. Fair enough.

My career started as a Network Junior and i'm keen to facilitiate
opportunities to move upward for others who're in similar circumstances
to that which I was in ~10 years ago, surely i'm not that unusual...??

Mark.