nanog mailing list archives

Re: Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 18:58:59 -0400

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 17:56:10 -0400, "George, Wes" said:

WG] I made reference to it in a previous message, but since the question
was repeated, I'll assume that was missed and repeat the answer. The
hypervisor folks seem to have figured this out so that it "just works"
without NAT, using virtual interfaces that have their own unique MAC
addresses so that they look like unique hosts to the network/DHCP server.
I'm using it on my FreeNAS (BSD) box at home with jails, and KVM supports
it, so chances are it wouldn't even be that hard to incorporate into
Android.

It only "just works" if your upstream device doesn't check/care that
you're emitting multiple MAC addresses from the same device.

Also, it assumes that some moral equivalent of proxy arp is available.