nanog mailing list archives

Re: Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 07:38:15 +1000

In message <CALFTrnNyvWssFhEJYW8mRjmkYx6i=4nZO+6r7ns5+OU5UYG8eA () mail gmail com>
, Ray Soucy writes:
The whole conversation is around 464XLAT on IPv6-only networks right?
We're going to be dual-stack for a while IMHO, and by the time we can get
away with IPv6 only for WiFi, 464 should no longer be relevant because
we'll have widespread IPv6 adoption by then.

Or just support DS-Lite along with DHCPv6.

DS-Lite does not require its own IPv6 address.
464XLAT and DS-Lite both limit IPv4 packet sizes to less than native.
DS-Lite works with DNSSEC.  DNS64 doesn't.
DS-Lite doesn't require mucking with packet contents.
DS-Lite doesn't result in sites being unreachable just because the IPv6
instance is down which is a side effect of DNS64.

Carriers can do IPv6 only because they tightly control the clients, for
WiFi clients are and will always be all over the place, so dual stack will
be pretty much a given for a long time.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM, George, Wes <wesley.george () twcable com>