nanog mailing list archives

Re: AWS Elastic IP architecture

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 08:28:38 +1000

In message <CABidiTJH=+oKpF7OwU+2V4MELaigMTqe3ZdFr51jUKRTpHFdtA () mail gmail com>
, Philip Dorr writes:
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
I=E2=80=99d argue that SSH is several thousand, not a few hundred. In an=
y case, I suppose you can make the argument that only a few people are tryi=
ng to access their home network resources remotely other than via some sort=
 of proxy/rendezvous service. However, I would argue that such services exi=
st solely to provide a workaround for the deficiencies in the network intro=
duced by NAT. Get rid of the stupid NAT and you no longer need such service=
s.

This is an interesting argument/point, but if you remove the rendevous
service then how do you find the thing in your house? now the user has
to manage DNS, or the service in question has to manage a dns entry
for the customer, right?

You do not remove the locating service, what you remove is the remote
proxy service.

And the DNS is the simplest location service.  Windows boxes and
Mac's can register themselves in the DNS today using standardised
protocols.  This really isn't a hard thing to do.  All you need is
a fully qualified hostname, addresses and update credentials
(username/password (TSIG) or a public key pair SIG(0)) and you can
update the addresses records using the DNS and UPDATE.  Windows
uses GSS-TSIG (Kerberos) to authenticate the UPDATE request.  In
theory it could also use plain TSIG and/or SIG(0).

What is hard is giving them a globally unique address today because
it doesn't exist for 99.9% of the devices connected in the world
due to the world having run out of IPv4 address about ~20 years
ago.  At the moment we are at ~1 address per household for IPv4.
We are heading into < 1 address per household for most of the
households in the world.

For a Mac you do System Preference -> Sharing -> Edit and Tick "Use
dynamic global hostname" add the hostname and TSIG credentials
(User/Password).  The Mac will save them.  The Mac will then update
the address records for itself as they change.

What has to happen is making this a regular part of setting up a
machine for the first time.  This requires other OS vendors adding
equivalent functionality to their OS's.

For example with a webcam on IPv4, you would connect to website to
download the video.  The camera would also connect to the website to
upload the video.

On IPv6 the webcam would connect to the website to say that it is
alive and what its IP is.  You would connect to the website and your
computer would get the IP and directly connect to the webcam.  If
there were multiple people connecting, you may even be able to use
multicast.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org