nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDOS Simulation

From: alvin nanog <nanogml () Mail DDoS-Mitigator net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 14:36:00 -0700

hi pavel

On 07/28/15 at 12:02am, Pavel Odintsov wrote:
It's poor man's traffic generator :)

that's the best kind :-)
as long as it gets the job done and you get to control what it does

My test lab is i7 2600 with 2 port Intel X520 10GE and Intel Xeon E5
2604 witj 2 port Intel X520 10GE.

nice cpu hw

trick questions for those thinking of generating ddos traffic for testing

- ?? how much memory was needed to run the traffic generator

        i assume around 1GB of memory for 1gigE interface and i still
        can purposely run out of memory while some apps are running

        at 10gigE pci card,
        you'd probably want at least 12GB - 16GB of memory

- some "poor mans apps" to generate traffic ... start w/ nping or hping

        # generate 1,000 Mbit/sec of junk .. floodig is trivial ...
        ping -i 0.001 -s 2000  victimIP#
        nping --data-length 2000 --rate 1000 victimIP#
        socat
        iperf ...
        #
        # generate udp  or icmp or arp or tcp traffic
        #
        # add options to generate large-sized packets
        # add options to generate 10Gbit/sec ( number of packet/sec )
        #
        # play around with tcp headers
        # add options to send MTU=1501 byte but NOT set DF
        # add options to send ACK but no request
        #
        # add options to spoof source and desitination address and ports

        #
        # if the host machine become un-available, you've got a problem
        #
        for host in gw dns ntp http smtp
          for protocol in arp icmp udp tcp
            nping --protocol [ options ] host.example.com
            # hping is nice too
          done
        done

        # for bonus arp fun ...
        attacker# arpspoof gateway victim
        attacker# arpspoof victim gateway

        # prevent mitm with: use hard coded arp "/etc/ethers" for linux

        use OpenSSL certs to flag a warning when "attacker" inserted
        itself in between gateway and un-aware victim

pixie dust
alvin
- DDoS-Mitigator.net