nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew () matthew at>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 23:42:57 -0700

On 7/9/2015 6:31 PM, John Curran wrote:
On Jul 9, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew () matthew at <mailto:matthew () matthew at>> wrote:
On Jul 9, 2015, at 4:07 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com <mailto:owen () delong com>> wrote:
You are correct… In order for 20% of Google’s traffic to come from IPv6 connected devices, there would generally need to be more than 20% of all devices connected over IPv6.

That doesn't follow at all.

One guy who has v6 and really loves youtube can account for most of it.

Matthew -

That would be the case if the measurements of “IPv6 users” were based on traffic or packet counts, but Google’s measurements are based on specific pairs of HTTP connection attempts (one IPv4, and one IPv6) and the ratio of those which are IPv6 capable. The measurement
methodology is documented in the Google research paper -
<http://research.google.com/pubs/pub36240.html>

Still can be accounted for with *fewer* than "20% of all devices connected over IPv6" (the opposite of Owen's claim). Possibly even far fewer, if many "devices" don't bother to visit Google via HTTP.

I do find it interesting that Google (and other's) graphs show much higher IPv6 penetration on weekends - I assume that's because ISP-provided CPE + default OS configs get you better chances of IPv6 than you get using your IT department's machine image plus network infrastructure. Anecdotally: I have yet to work regularly at a facility that has IPv6 connectivity to the outside world from the WiFi networks that serve employee laptops. (Though for several years in the late 2000s I did get IPv6 addresses via RA and routing between floors (but not beyond)).

Matthew Kaufman