nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T U-Verse Data Setup Convention

From: Dan Drown <dan-nanog () drown org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:18:32 -0500

I have AT&T u-verse small business connection at my office with a static IP setup, and my experience matches with the AT&T tech said. We have a separate router behind the AT&T router. The AT&T router is an Arris (former Motorola) NVG595. Our router has a static IP out of our subnet and does NAT for the office network.

As far as I can tell, the u-verse supplied router cannot be replaced with something less sucky. The problem is getting the 802.1x certificate needed to authenticate on the wan port.

I dislike AT&T's hardware as it has more limitations than just this, but some of those limitations can be worked around with an additional router downstream of it.

Quoting Keith Stokes <keiths () neilltech com>:
I’m wondering if some can share their experiences or maybe there’s an AT&T person here who can confirm policy.

I work for SaaS provider who requires a source IP to access our system to businesses.

Normally we tell the customer to request a “Static IP” from their provider. That term makes sense to most ISPs.

However, we’ve recently worked with an AT&T higher-up tech who told us that every U-Verse modem is locked to an address even when set to DHCP and will not change unless the unit is changed. Ordering a “Static IP” from them means your devices will individually get public addresses, which isn’t a requirement for us, isn’t quite as easy to add multiple devices and costs our customers more money.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it really accurate that the customer’s address is tied to the modem/router?

2. For my curiosity, is this done through a DHCP reservation or is there a hard coded entry somewhere?

3. Do all U-Verse modem/routers behave the same way? This particular unit was a Motorola but the friends I’ve seen with U-Verse use a Cisco unit.

---

Keith Stokes