nanog mailing list archives

AT&T U-Verse Data Setup Convention

From: Keith Stokes <keiths () neilltech com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:02:06 +0000

I’m wondering if some can share their experiences or maybe there’s an AT&T person here who can confirm policy.

I work for SaaS provider who requires a source IP to access our system to businesses.

Normally we tell the customer to request a “Static IP” from their provider. That term makes sense to most ISPs.

However, we’ve recently worked with an AT&T higher-up tech who told us that every U-Verse modem is locked to an address
even when set to DHCP and will not change unless the unit is changed. Ordering a “Static IP” from them means your
devices will individually get public addresses, which isn’t a requirement for us, isn’t quite as easy to add multiple
devices and costs our customers more money.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it really accurate that the customer’s address is tied to the modem/router?

2. For my curiosity, is this done through a DHCP reservation or is there a hard coded entry somewhere?

3. Do all U-Verse modem/routers behave the same way? This particular unit was a Motorola but the friends I’ve seen with
U-Verse use a Cisco unit.

---

Keith Stokes