nanog mailing list archives

Re: Brocade MLX Feedback

From: Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr <youssef () 720 fr>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 09:40:28 +0100

Hi,

I've been running NetIron (MLXe + CER-RT) for quite some time, mostly happy
with the products.

Of course, there are always some unforseen / silly / nasty things that
still turn one's mind upside down. What we noticed so far :

    - ISSU / hitless protocols upgrades : we have been pounding them to get
it right, an RFE has been submitted for quite some time now but it's not
there yet,

    - Support of route reflection for VPLS auto discovery : same as above,

    - Adding packet capture (PCAP) capabilities : newly submitted RFE,

    - Adding BGP flowspec support : same as above,

Also, BFD is always a little sensitive when the routers' CPU spike even if
it's supported in hardware.

All in all, and from a price/performance perspective, I would still
recommend them if they match your business case (especially CER-RT for
small colo / IP transit / IXP PEs and/or BGP route reflection).

HTH.

Graham,

We have several Brocades - including XMR, CER, and CES devices. Their
convergence is excellent, even with several full v4 and v6 tables, and was
much faster than other platforms (I'm looking at you MXs...).   In terms of
TCAM and convergence, best bang for the buck as they say.

One 'gotcha' we discovered: Brocade does not have, as per our last
discussion with them, BGP FlowSpec on the road map.  That was a problem for
us, but YMMV.

Cheers,
Jeff