nanog mailing list archives

Re: symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

From: Jack Bates <jbates () paradoxnetworks net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:40:28 -0600

Even so, what makes the channel assignments static? If the downstream bands are sitting idle, why can't they be reallocated for use by modems needing to send more? Or, presuming upstream isolation between modems, why can't multiple channels be dynamically allocated to a modem when there is availability and need?

I'm not arguing how it is. Just saying. Why can't we do more? GMPLS shows we can get really annoying in our ability to automate in dynamic provisioning. I'd think fixing something like DOCSIS would be a cakewalk in comparison.

Sorry, I'm just a network guy that plays with routers and servers. I expect more out of the geniuses that make stuff for me to play with.

Jack